Before he even knew this was a diet dish this became one of his very favorites, not because of the ingredients but BECAUSE HE CRAVES IT AND FROM THE TIME HE SAYS HE WANTS IT, (even if he does not help) UNTILL HE’S EATING IS LESS THAN SEVEN MINUTES…
Chicken and dumplings is also called Chicken and pastry or Chicken and sliders and is a very popular comfort food dish, commonly found in the Southern and Midwestern United States, that is also attributed to being a French Canadian meal that originated during the Great Depression, (so my DH tells me). A dumpling in this context is normally a mixture of flour, shortening, and water or milk or flour and stock, which is then formed into a ball or rolled out flat. Chicken and dumplings as a dish is prepared with a combination of boiled chicken meat, the broth produced by boiling the chicken, multiple dumplings, and salt and pepper for seasoning.
However… we want fast and we want it NOW! We can not wait for the chicken to cook to create the broth nor do we want to wait while biscuits are made from scratch. We cut past all of that and do not add extra salt or pepper either!
One close friend who wishes to stay a nameless ‘Busy Mommy’ said: “This is a great recipe for southern style chicken and dumplings. My husband doesn’t usually like Chicken and Dumplings, but he absolutely loved these and asked for seconds (which he never does with anything). My little boys (2, 4, and 5 years) ate it up and asked for more also. I made this last week when I was up against a time crunch and was thrilled I could just throw this together on a night I didn’t feel like spending much time and energy on cooking.
She went on to tell me that this is great and easy for the kids to help with also.”
Of Course! The more hands helping to make these dishes… the faster it will be ready to eat!!!
Here are the simple ingredients to shop for 2 adults (increase the amounts if you are feeding more):
- 1 12 oz Alfredo Pasta Sauce from Walden Farms
- 1 package of 4 dinner rolls
- creamer packets
- 1 (14 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10 ounce) cans chunk chicken, drained
That’s right! SUPER SIMPLE!
- Turn on the hot water tap and let it get good and hot as you open all the cans.
- Pour the soup and sauce in first, then rinse each container with add 1/2 can/jar of HOT water and then add the chicken to your large pot.
- Place on medium heat until a gentle boil.
- Open and stir in the creamers.
- Open and break apart the rolls into fourths or smaller and then drop the pieces into the chicken mixture. Make sure they are fully immersed at least for a moment. Once all the dough is in the pot, carefully stir so that the broth covers the newest ones.
Cover and simmer over a medium heat for about 2 more minutes, always stirring.
You are ready to serve 2 hungry people super fast, a nutritional, delicious, meal with under 400 calories each serving!